Child & Spousal Support

Michigan Child & Spousal Support Lawyer

Calculating child support according to Michigan Child Support Guidelines is sometimes a simple mathematical exercise.

Michigan child support law determines the amount of child support one parent will pay by evaluating several factors, including:

  • Number of children
  • Net monthly income of custodial and non-custodial parent
  • Amount of monthly support paid by custodial and non-custodial parent for children or spouse from a prior relationship
  • Monthly cost of family group health insurance paid by custodial and non-custodial parent
  • Monthly cost of day care paid for by custodial and non-custodial parent

When disputes arise over the applicability of these factors, Stacy will work with you and opposing counsel to reach a fair and equitable child support agreement. Always remember that child support can be revisited and modified anytime that your family's circumstances change.

Spousal support is typically determined according to the following factors:

  • Length of the Marriage
  • Health Factors
  • Age
  • Ability of the Lower-Earning Spouse to Earn Income
  • Past relations and conduct of parties
  • Ability of parties to work
  • Source & amount of property awarded to the parties
  • Ability to pay alimony
  • Present situation of parties
  • Needs of the parties
  • Prior standard of living of the parties
  • General principles of equity

The end of your marriage should never mean financial ruin for you or your family. Stacy will see that you enter into a fair agreement, whether through negotiation or litigation.

Contact Stacy L. Van Dyken anytime to schedule an appointment to discuss your child or spousal support matters.



  Waters Building Grand Rapids Michigan, Attorney Stacy Van Dyken

At the Grand Rapids law office of Stacy L. Van Dyken, P.C., we conveniently serve clients throughout West Michigan, including the cities of Holland, Muskegon, and Grand Haven and throughout Kent County, Ottawa County, Allegan County, Barry County, Newaygo County, Montcalm County, and Ionia County.